Saturday, March 07, 2009

The new Colosseum

Nicki and I decided to stay in Ansan this Saturday. We went to Jungang to do some shopping and decided to see a movie while we were there. We went to Meganex and our choices of English movies was very limited. We decided to watch The Watchmen. First of all, DO NOT WATCH THE WATCHMEN. It may have been the worst movie I have ever seen. Secondly, I am beginning to worry about the direction in which Hollywood is going.

I don't know if the comic book is any better but this film was absolutely repulsive. I think that it had a lot of potential and the the theme could have been excellent. In my opinion, the whole movie and any redemptive qualities it could have had were ruined by the grotesque violence and explicit sex scenes. Movies have made their points and have been entertaining for a long time without such gross scenes. As we discussed after the movie, it is also an insult to human imagination to show things so explicitly.

After seeing this movie, I am reminded of the Colosseum. It seems that Hollywood is having to feed the masses more and more graphic materials to appease us. I have wondered about Hollywood for a long time. War movies have gotten much more graphic but at the same time, "War is Hell." Sex is also much more prominent on the silver screen. It has always or at least almost always been there but never this revealing. Directors use to only hint at what was going on. Now, I feel like I should be the creepy middle-aged man living in his mom's basement when I see a movie. I strongly believe in freedom of speech and I oppose censorship but I really am worried about the direction in which Hollywood is leading America. Not to mention America is asking Hollywood to take us there.

That is all I have for now. I would highly recommend not watching The Watchmen unless you like smut or unless you are terribly curious.

1 comment:

Katherine said...

Thanks for your review. I think I will probably avoid this film, though I really wasn't planning on watching it anyway.
I hope things are going well for you and Nicki. I miss you both.