Saturday, May 12, 2007

Faith in Action

The scary thing about being alone is that you get a chance to see yourself. This is not always a pretty sight. Matter of fact, it rarely is. One thing that I've learned is that sometimes you need to just sit down and let God just speak. This is very hard. I often find myself doing all the talking and not letting God say anything. The few times when I do shut up, He really tells me something important. It isn't always clear that He is the one speaking but He always gets His point across. Tonight as I sat down with my cigar and some ideas running through my head, He spoke to me. Of course I ended up with more questions than answers but that is a lot better than thinking that I don't have any questions at all. I refuse to put every detail of my personal life on this blog even though I am probably the only person who looks at this site. However, I do think that I need to mention at least something about what God is telling me.

Our faith, the Christian faith, is an active faith. No matter where we are in life, we are called to do something. I look at the news and I hear the statistics and my heart breaks. There is so much I can do to help the poor and needy. I feel guilty as I smoke my cigar and think about all those who can't even afford a hamburger. I know that I can't save the world but our God can. Fortunately He has chosen to use us. There is so much more we can do but we are too busy making plans and enjoying the good life to see these oppurtunities. I don't know where God is calling me. Maybe He wants me to have a nice job, nice house, nice family and all that other nice American stuff but maybe He is calling me to "sell what you have and give alms; provide yourselves money bags which do not grow old..." (Lk 12:33) God alone knows what our future holds. Let us open our ears, minds, and hearts to what He has to say.

NDF

1 comment:

Nicki said...

You have a way with words. I think you should be the English major. I agree with you 100% on this post, but you already know that.